Saturday, September 18, 2010

Luna Moth

Each morning I check on "my" preying mantis and this particular morning got a surprise! As I walked by with a casual glance I had to stop and do a double take. I almost dropped my cereal in the floor! A luna moth!
I grabbed my camera and got these shots. What a gorgeous insect!
Here she is in her glory...a full 4 inches! It looks like she's not quite 4" but it was a bad angle. And a bad photo...blurry...sorry!

She stayed for three days. Day two she laid these eggs (dark clustered spot under the left side of her wing). That night the beetles ate them. :(

Day three she laid some more, stayed a few hours and then left. I ran outside and gathered them before the beetles could eat this batch. Now what the heck am I going to do with luna moth eggs?? I suppose I'm going to have to learn! 

I found this webpage which seems to be a wealth of information on hatching luna moth eggs, so I guess I'll give it a try. I have sweet gum trees (seen in the background of the photo) for them to feed on once they hatch. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment, I love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...