Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Preying Mantis Saga

Headline: Giant Preying Mantis attacks house!!
I couldn't resist this shot! :D

This female mantis has been residing on our porch for about a month now. When I first noticed her, she was on the inside of the screen.

After several nights of watching her wear herself out attacking bugs on the opposite side of the screen who were flying around the floodlight, I took pity on her and moved her to the outside of the screen. She was not happy with me but seemed to get the idea after I shoo'ed her up toward the floodlight. Since then it has been feasting and festivities for her.

The day I moved her, a male mantis came along and they got happy together. That is, until she was finished with him. Then she ate him. What a sad ending!
Then we had another visitor arrive...a luna moth (which will be another post). She and the luna got friendly and hung out together. I suppose she thought of the luna as camouflage.

Yet another arrival...a baby lizard approaches on the far left side! What a shot, three in one!

Today the mantis left, I'm assuming to go lay her eggs. It was sad to see her go but duty calls. Maybe her offspring will visit me next year.

1 comment:

Please leave me a comment, I love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...