Saturday, October 16, 2010

The Luna Moth Chronicles: Day 17

Day 17: Growing! They are closing in on 2". In fact, they may well be 2" long but they rarely stretch out their full length. When disturbed they tuck their heads under and scrunch up so it's hard to get an accurate measurement.
"Corvella"
We gave them branches in their containers and they seem to really enjoy clinging to them.
"Clover" 
You can see how his skin looks stretched tight, especially near the back end, like he's about to burst at the seams! Surely he's going to molt soon.

"Nenington"
Now is a crucial period for the larvae regarding lighting. They are light sensitive and take their cues from the length of daylight hours. I need these guys to produce the hormone that makes them overwinter in their cocoons, otherwise I'll have Luna Moths flying around the house! And if they mate and lay eggs I will have no food for the hatchlings since it will be late autumn. So I'm being careful to cover their containers with a towel to be sure they get no more than 14 hours of light each day. 

Listen to me, ha ha! I sound like I know what I'm talking about! (I knew nothing about this a month ago!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment, I love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...