Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Luna Moth Chronicles: Hope

We have one pupa left, Clover. Over the last two weeks I have been concerned that Clover may be dead. I could not get him to respond despite my prodding. The pupal case has darkened, become dull instead of glossy, and isn't as firm as it once was. It would even leave indentations where I touched it.
Clover's back
As I debated whether to bury him alongside of Corvella, I miraculously discovered he is alive after all! He suddenly began moving again. 

Clover's underside (belly)
You can clearly see his wings through the case, which has become paper thin. Look in the broad, lighter colored area between the white marks and his face (on the right end of the case). There is a stripe running width-wise.

My fear is that Clover will hatch early also, like Corvella. Today I lined the bird cage with fine mesh screening and removed the lid to his container. I placed branches in the cage for him to hang from to dry his wings. I am prepared now, thanks to the tragedy

I am super paranoid now and check the cage constantly. Hopefully I won't have anything to report until spring. If he's going to emerge, it will happen soon since Clover pupated a day after Corvella. It seems they're on the same schedule, but I really really really hope not in this instance. Wish Clover luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment, I love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...