Monday, November 29, 2010

The Luna Moth Chronicles: Sadness

As some of you may know from reading my previous entries, I have been documenting my experiences raising a small batch of luna moths. We started with 5 eggs which all hatched, lost 3 caterpillars at different intervals throughout the process, and as of Thanksgiving were down to 2 caterpillars which successfully pupated.

It had been 6 1/2 weeks since they cocooned and I was expecting them to overwinter, however, Saturday morning I found a terrible mess inside one of the containers.

Corvella hatched, which should have been a joyous occasion, but since she was 5 months early and inside a closed container it was a disaster.

Corvella's empty casing



It was very sad to see the destruction within the container. She tore her wings up struggling to get out, and since she could not hang to dry her wings, they dried crumpled.

I was informed my pupae were male, but as it turns out at least one is female. Her antennae are narrow, unlike a male's antennae which are wide. She even laid 3 unfertilized eggs!

We were planning to build a box for the pupae but thought we had time. One of the websites I was referring to said the pupae should hatch within 2-3 weeks; otherwise they would overwinter. Obviously that was not the case. :(

So that leaves me to wonder two scenarios:

1) Did Corvella hatch early? We had warm weather during the past several days prior to her emergence. Did that cue her that it was "spring" and time to hatch?

2) Alternatively, perhaps she never intended to overwinter. We had very warm weather (80 degrees F) during her 4th and 5th instars. I was very careful to limit her exposure to daylight, covering her container in the evenings. The length of the day is supposed to be what causes the caterpillars to produce the hormone which triggers them to overwinter, but I wonder if temperature plays a part also?

Corvella lived for 3 days, passing on to the heavenly realms early this morning. My 5 year old cried when she hatched because he realized the gravity of the situation, but did not cry at our burial proceedings. He seems to have worked through his grief.

I am saddened and a bit frustrated. All that hard work of caring for those caterpillars...

6 comments:

  1. My Luna Moth hatched last night. I was SO excited! Sadly, my luna moth (herp) had misshapen wings... I have two more Luna moths, I hope those can grow wings :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for commenting! I'm so sorry to hear your Luna moth's wings were misshapen. I hope your remaining two turn out healthy. Sending best wishes your way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. my luna hatched this morning sometime,but i think its wings are not good,as i wasent expecting it to hatch till spring,and it didnt have anything to climb up on to dry its wings,it has been 3 hours since i first noticed it ,,and the wings are still the same,i did put something in the cage for it to climb up on,think i got it to late,,,its a shame,,,it was brown,,would have been so beautiful,,

    ReplyDelete
  4. mine hatched ether last night,or this morning,,,and its wings are not good,as i didnt think it would hatch this soon,,,i cocooned in late october,,here in kingston ontario canada,,and this is the 10th of feb,i didnt have anything for it to climb up on to hang and dry its wings,its been like 3- 4 hours since i put something for it to hang, i,m not seeing a change in the wings,its a shame,,wish i had of noticed it in time,,,,oh well, maybe i,ll be lucky and find another catapiller in the fall,,yeah,,good luck,,lol,

    ReplyDelete
  5. my luna hatched this morning sometime,but i think its wings are not good,as i wasent expecting it to hatch till spring,and it didnt have anything to climb up on to dry its wings,it has been 3 hours since i first noticed it ,,and the wings are still the same,i did put something in the cage for it to climb up on,think i got it to late,,,its a shame,,,it was brown,,would have been so beautiful,,

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so sad, I'm so sorry! But don't feel too bad--even if the wings had been perfect your Luna wouldn't have lived a full life being that it is too cold for it to fly away and mate, not to mention there would be no food source for any caterpillars. With the heat coming on constantly my first one only lived a day because it dried out too much. I kept my second one in the bathroom with the door closed where it was more humid and it lived for about 3 days.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment, I love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...