Saturday, November 13, 2010

The Luna Moth Chronicles: Cocoon Update

After much debate, I decided to bust into the cocoons to see if I could determine the gender of the pupae. I researched this procedure thoroughly to be sure it was safe for my pupae to be open in their cocoons, and apparently, for Luna pupae it is fine and rather a common practice. So here we are!

Female Luna Moth Pupa
This is Corvella in all HIS glory! I've been informed by an expert that I have two male pupae. 

You can tell from the wide antennae. The females have narrower antennae.

NOTE: 11/29/10 Corvella turned out to be female. I suspect Clover is female also since they are identical.


An exoskeleton was in the cocoon along with the pupa. The caterpillars go through one more molting while cocooned, wiggling out of their old caterpillar skins and becoming legless blobs!

This is Clover, who is a bit smaller than Corvella. 

I suppose we ought to rename Corvella, since she's a he. Corvie? Corv? I'll have to consult my 5 yr old name genius. NOTE: The name genius was correct, since Corvella turned out to be female after all!

This is where they live, for now. I've got them in disposable plastic containers with holes punched in the lid, outside on my screened porch, hanging inside a birdcage. It doesn't get too terribly cold here, but I've read that you should avoid drafts under the pupae because it makes the wind chill worse for them.

My hubby is scheduled to build an exclosing box for them sometime soon (I hope!). Right now, if they were to emerge from their pupal shells the Luna moths wouldn't have enough space to hang and dry their wings. If their wings dry wrinkled they will not be able to fly. 

It's been a month since they cocooned and it looks like they're going to overwinter so I have a little bit of time to get that box built!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment, I love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...